Dungeons and Dragons Online

Discuss recent news here

Moderator: Bevan

Bevan
Grandmaster Starfarmer

Dungeons and Dragons Online

Post by Bevan »

Unfortunately for the aforementioned RFOnline, my beta invite came through the same day as an invite for the Euro beta test of Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO). I did take a little look at RFOnline, but it's really not going to get much of a look in with DDO about.

For anyone else interested in DDO, some initial thoughts from my short time in beta (I've not been reading much about it either, so someone may come and shoot me down in flames :))

I must admit, I did play and really enjoy D&D (and some traveller, runequest etc) for a time in my youth and have tried resurrecting that interest several times since (not least of which was playing NeverWinter Nights - still a great game), so my opinion may be a little biased :) Those that have never played D&D may not be quite so enthused, and those that didn't like those P&P games or the later computer version probably wouldn't be interested anyway, let alone enjoy it. The closest comparison I can make to another game for reference is probably NWN - set in a persistent world with no editing tools and in beautiful 3D.

The game seems to be, at least from the couple of beta hours I've spent so far, all about adventures that take place in instances. There's no crafting that I know of, no XP for killing, no real mob loot. None of which will surprise any players of the P&P variants, but may have some mmorpg players running for the exit already :) The adventures are full of atmosphere, and narration at key points as you progress which reminds me a little of having a dungeon master describing what you see/smell etc. The adventures are made up of a main quest, and various sub-plots that develop along the way. Some are optional and others are required for you to achieve the goal and ultimately the reward (XP, also coin and items). The instances are full of puzzles and really remind me of some of the better single player adventures and RPGs I've played with much more needed to complete them than simply killing everything in sight, though that may still work from time to time for the die-hard warrior ;)

DDO is obviously tied into the D&D ruleset and there's only so much room for flexibility in the games make-up. Characters start with a little more HP (20 more if I remember correctly), but it retains the rigid class structures of the ruleset so I'm not sure how easy it would be to progress a great deal solo, for any class. D&D has always been a group game and requires that balance to succeed, as well as some strategy as you only get to use spells/skills a number of times between 'rests'. The classes really aren't balanced individually and I'm not sure how well received that will be by the general mmorpg playing community. Already I've seen posts complaining about class balance. For those of us with fond memories of sitting round the dining table or class desks while rolling their d20 will have no problems with it at all though.

It's a game I've been waiting a long time to see, interested in it's implementation as much as playing it, and I have to say I'm dead impressed. I expect it will work particularly well for a group of friends or guild, but time will tell how much fun or how reliable pick-up groups will be.

With no camping mobs for XP or uber loot it will work particularly well for my play style, and the adventures look varied and well thought out so far. Looks a winner for me and I hope plenty to keep me occupied for the foreseeable future. European release looks to be sometime in March, and with Codemasters exclusively handling the European distribution, I've a horrible feeling it's going to be regionalised so no playing on the US servers :( hope I'm wrong.

Official Euro site - http://www.ddo-europe.com/

Mafti
Motor Mouth

Post by Mafti »

can u tell us more about the replayabillity?
i think it's a perfect game for a saturday-night :)

i cannot see playing it 24h/day :)
Imagination is more important than knowledge... - A.E.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - G.M.

Blackjack
Visionary

Post by Blackjack »

I agree pretty much with Bevan.
It’s nice to have a game where a Rogue actually gets to pick locks and remove traps!
The puzzles are pretty varied and require a bit of thought and the limited rest places mean you have to be careful how you tackle a dungeon. No more rushing about ganking everything for xp and no farming uber loot.
You can play dungeons again but with diminishing returns each time.
It is quite like the p&p version. The sort of game to play slowly with friends and savour the atmosphere. Speaking of which, what server are you on Bevan?
I’m on Lyrander as Blackjack (Rogue) and Posthumous (Cleric)
Vanguard (Gelenia)
Blackjack Wulfsong (Bard - Thestra)
Blackhawk (Hunter - Qalia)
Aeldar Blackthorn (Druid - Kojan)
Olaf Blackwulf (Warrior - Thestra)

EQ2 (Splitpaw)
Tuathal

Bevan
Grandmaster Starfarmer

Post by Bevan »

There was only one server when I started, which I think is Lyrander. I have a ranger named Finsbury - also Bevan (paladin) and Bogart (rogue), though really only playing Finsbury through beta atm.

As for replayability Mafti, as BJ said you can redo adventures with diminishing returns, but I expect there'll be enough adventures to see you to the lvl cap and beyond as there's no other way to gain XP that I've found :) If you mean with alt's, then it's the same as most other mmorpgs, depends on how much you can stand going through a limited variety of adventures, though at this stage I've no idea whether it's possible to level up more than one toon on mostly different adventures. Certainly WoW didn't have much replayability for me as from about lvl20 you are essentially going through mostly the same zones and quests. I'd still like to do enough in beta to get out of the first real town you arrive at to see what is beyond. Town is under a lockdown though, so you can't get out the gates until you're trusted, which appears to take a number of adventures that are building up a story.

I think it's a game that could lend itself well to playing with friends on fixed nights, probably less so than NWN though, with it being a persistant world.

Tara Windsong
WulfLady

Post by Tara Windsong »

I loved to play the P&Ps during school and university times (though mostly - no, always - I was the DM *sigh*) and I have very fond memories of the nights spent around a round table, filled with paper, ashtrays, drinks, little toons, maps, dice under a dimly lit lamp ... it was delightfully chaotic! Therefore I'm quite curious to see how they managed to bring that feeling into an online game. Fixed nights sound good :)
OOM - does NOT mean Out Of Mobs ...

Your mind is like a parachute ... it only works if it's open.

ESO - Elder Scrolls Online - EU server

Sirian Wulfthorn - Dragonknight tank
Rhuadh gro-Tar - Necromancer DD
Tanari Finvarra - Warden DD
and as usual a lot more ;)

Blackjack
Visionary

Post by Blackjack »

The two big things NWN had going for it were:-

1. Once you had bought it, there were no monthly fees.

2. You could create your own adventures.

I still play NWN and have all the Expansions.
Vanguard (Gelenia)

EQ2 (Splitpaw)
Tuathal

Mafti
Motor Mouth

Post by Mafti »

so for the beta it's:

Server: Lyrander

BJ:
Blackjack (Rogue)
Posthumous (Cleric)
Bevan:
Finsbury (Ranger)
Bevan (paladin)
Bogart (rogue)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - G.M.

Mafti
Motor Mouth

Post by Mafti »

bah. fileplanet download.

anyone know a better link?

Mafti
Motor Mouth

Post by Mafti »

I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!I HATE FILEPLANET!!!!

Max Wulf
Visionary

Post by Max Wulf »

I still play NWN and have all the Expansions.
Yup, still an awesome game and one I play from time to time!
I cant explain why it just failed to be the computer version of the P&P game I used up so much of my youth with, everytime I played online I ended up in a pseudo Diablo game :/
Still, the CW server was good fun, I particularly enjoyed the off the shelf open Mod Ant hosted and I began to follow random players around as an invunerable talking badger!
-= Max =-

WoW:
Callous - Undead Mage
Garry - Orc Hunter

Blackjack
Visionary

Post by Blackjack »

Now if everyone had a copy of NWN on their computers, we'd have somewhere we could meet up occasional at Battlespire for Clan gettogethers for those that aren't in the same mmorpg and don't want to pay a monthly fee.
NWN2 is due out soon so NWN is probably in the bargin bins by now for those that don't have it already.
Vanguard (Gelenia)

EQ2 (Splitpaw)
Tuathal

Bevan
Grandmaster Starfarmer

Post by Bevan »

I have it and occasionally spin it up still too. I think if I'd made better use of sites such as NeverWinterConnections I'd have played for a lot longer. I had hte same problem as Max, most of those public adventures I joined either suffered from long delays as people went afk or lost conn or they were little more than hack n slash. NeverWinterConnections would have provided a much better and more reliable experience.

Perhaps I'll get to try again with NWN2 :)

Kibs
Seer

Post by Kibs »

ARSE,

been off website for a while...... Am on D&D Beta as well......

Playing Kibs on Boldai, if anyone has any alts on that server please look me up.... If not send me an email and we can form a Wulf party on Lysander...but i will only change over if you guys are actually playing it.....

Imagine me online playing with fellow wulfies again....

By the way I love the way you have to work as a team through the game although there are still a few Leroys out there who I just want to smash!!

take care all

Matthew

Bevan
Grandmaster Starfarmer

Post by Bevan »

hi Kibs
I've not been playing it at all. I've not been well (only the flu, but enough aches and such that I didn't fancy being sat in front of the monitor), plus with the release much sooner that I thought originally I didn't want to be spending my first few days in retail going through the same adventures I'd only just done in beta :)

Got it pre-ordered though, so will be playing at release :)

ORC_Savrukk
Scholar

Post by ORC_Savrukk »

Did you try it out with a group Yesterday?

What was your experience?

Savrukk

Kibs
Seer

Post by Kibs »

played it during latter days of Beta and grouping could be truly awesome, but as with any other game it could be spoilt by people acting like children. Easily overcome if you have friends who you group with or a strong leader.
Only reason I havent bought retail is Im going away for a few months and may play when I come back.

Munster is a fantastic city, I lived there for 3 years. Was based at York Kaserne but new some of the medical students at Munster, great fairs and markets. What do you think of the new shopping centre?

ORC_Savrukk
Scholar

Post by ORC_Savrukk »

Hehe,

yeah Muenster is a lovely place to live in.
The new Shapping Mall "Münster Arcaden" is nice imo. It gets some more "Big City flair" without dominating the city. I think it fits well at the place it is.

Dunno when the second part is finished.

Savrukk

Kibs
Seer

Post by Kibs »

ah apologies, Muesnster without the double dot over the U, does of course mean you stick an e in it.
Beautiful city with great parks and restaurants,Lots of VERY expensive clothes shops, but some very nice women as well, but that was all when I was carefree and single and before I fell in love with my now wife [-X

is the mexican restaurant in the old church still there? the one that does the cocktails?