SOE to publish Pirates of the Burning Sea

Discuss recent news here

Moderator: Bevan

Bevan
Grandmaster Starfarmer

SOE to publish Pirates of the Burning Sea

Post by Bevan »

Flying Labs have signed with SOE to publish their upcoming mmorpg, Pirates of the Burning Sea. It appears they can't emphasize enough that this is a publishing deal and that they (SOE) will have no involvement in the development/direction of the game.
Pirates of the Burning Sea will be published in partnership with Sony Online Entertainment’s Platform Publishing. This is an important deal for Flying Lab Software and we know how passionate our community is about this issue. So before you start posting your thoughts on our forums, let me share how this particular arrangement differs from publishing deals you may have read about in the past.
with the breakdown of responsibilities thus:
Here is the breakdown:

Flying Lab Software
• Game Development
• Community
• Customer Support
• Server Operations

Sony Online Entertainment
• Billing
• Launcher
• Retail Distribution
• Localization
• Marketing
Full anouncment can be found at the official PotBS website - http://www.burningsea.com/pages/page.ph ... e_id=10349

It makes sense that a smaller development company utilizes the services of a mega-corp like SOE to deal with billing, marketing, sales etc and keep the technology and development in-house. Lets hope it works out better than it did for Sigil :)

Osrik
Farmer of Stars

Post by Osrik »

I wonder if this means that Pirates will end up being part of SOE station access. Could be interesting if so.
AJ.

Mafti
Motor Mouth

Post by Mafti »

a nice article about the crafting in PotBS

i think some of you will like the system ;)

http://www.burningsea.com/pages/page.ph ... e_id=10253
Imagination is more important than knowledge... - A.E.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - G.M.