Motherboards and ram and stuff

Post by Guest »

<font color='#000000'>Hmm, ive a couple of questions if anyone has time to reply in simple language
What is the difference in SD Ram and DDR &nbsp;ram, and how can i tell what mine is?

Is it worth upgrading from an Athlon 1200 to an Athlon 2000, or wait til i can afford better?
Hardest one of all {for me} &nbsp;Motherboards.......havent a clue here, looking at some chaintech ones at Scan computers, but I might as well be learning Chinese..how can I tell what &nbsp;boards goes with what CPUs?? ( thats processor, yes &nbsp;? ) and what type of ram fitrs which boards...and what differeence will boards make as they go up in price, performance wise?
Any help would be appreciated, as Im trying to understand enough &nbsp;to be able to replace/upgrade my Comp , no later than &nbsp;the arrival of SWG</font>

Brax
Grandmaster Starfarmer

Post by Brax »

<font color='#0000FF'>DDR ram is essential twice as fast as Sdram. &nbsp;Most new motherboards use DDR. &nbsp;

I dont think that the upgrade to an Athy 2000 will be as useful as a new graphics card and a decent amount of Ram (512 or at least 384). &nbsp;I would wait until you can get a Athy 2700 or 2800 when those prices come down. When I played EQ the upgrade to 256 ram from 128 reduced my zone loading time by half. I use 512 of ram now and it runs as fast as I can ask for.

A Processor is the CPU so you are right there. &nbsp;Get one of the guys who sells the equip to fill in the blanks I have left. They should be able to get you better prices as well. &nbsp;

I am looking at one of the new nFORCE2 boards which look to be really stable and have great (no really) onboard sound that is actually more system efficient than a Soundblaster add in card. &nbsp;This mobo (motherboard) chipset (the stuff that runs the mobo) is made by nVidia who makes the GeForce video cards.

Hope I helped more than hurt. &nbsp;:D</font>

Tara Windsong
WulfLady

Post by Tara Windsong »

I took the liberty to move the topic to the members forum where more people are likely to read it :)
OOM - does NOT mean Out Of Mobs ...

Your mind is like a parachute ... it only works if it's open.

ESO - Elder Scrolls Online - EU server

Sirian Wulfthorn - Dragonknight tank
Rhuadh gro-Tar - Necromancer DD
Tanari Finvarra - Warden DD
and as usual a lot more ;)