Aevum Obscurum - Clan Competitions ...

kingaschi
Initiate

Aevum Obscurum - Clan Competitions ...

Post by kingaschi »

I got this turn-based multiplayer strategy game running in the Internet! I was hoping some of you guys would be able to try it out and give me some feedback. No worries, it's all free, and you won't have to sign off on your first born. It's just some little game of world domination around 1300 Europe! ::lol:

That's the official text:
Aevum Obscurum is a turn-based multiplayer strategy game. You will have to take control of an empire at the beginning of the 14th century, Earth. Your goal is to have absolut control within the next years to come. Your empires to choose from are among England, France, Ireland, Rome and other 50+ all over Europe.
That's the link to the site: Aevum Obscurum

And here some teaser:
Last edited by kingaschi on 27 Apr 2006, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

I am currently working on getting version 2.4.0 online! This is a very cool addition with Diplomacy! Should be up and running in about a week!

Crucian
Scribe

Post by Crucian »

I've played the demo a coupple of times, and it looks very promising. Could use a more extended manual/faq, though.

Can't wait to start a real game... Will give more substantial feedback when we've played one.

Keep up the good work.

There are two tragedies in life.
One is to lose your heart's desire.
The other is to gain it.
George Bernard Shaw

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

Did you check both the manual and FAQ?
-Manual
-FAQ

What information would you like to have added?

Osrik
Farmer of Stars

Post by Osrik »

I've not taken a look at it yet but will be very soon so will provide some feedback once I have.
AJ.

Mafti
Motor Mouth

Post by Mafti »

feedback so far is very cheeky. the faq + manual is kinda weird in Firefox ;)
Imagination is more important than knowledge... - A.E.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - G.M.

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

Firefox? I tested the web site in firefox and it looks fine? What version are you running? What operating system?

Mafti
Motor Mouth

Post by Mafti »

kingaschi wrote:Firefox? I tested the web site in firefox and it looks fine? What version are you running? What operating system?
FireFox 1.5, windows XPsp2
will try to post some screenshots ;)

Imagination is more important than knowledge... - A.E.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - G.M.

Crucian
Scribe

Post by Crucian »

What i meant was that the faq & manual were very basic. It takes a few demo-games to figure it out, a few screenshots with demo-moves could clarify a lot. And i miss ships in the manual.

There are two tragedies in life.
One is to lose your heart's desire.
The other is to gain it.
George Bernard Shaw

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

FireFox 1.5, windows XPsp2
You are right! It workes fine in Firefox 1.0.7. However, I installed version 1.5 and I get the same problem! Give me a week to fix.
What i meant was that the faq & manual were very basic. It takes a few demo-games to figure it out, a few screenshots with demo-moves could clarify a lot. And i miss ships in the manual.
Ok, will do. I will need some time to do that. There is a new version coming out Sunday/Monday, so the Manual will need to be updated.

What ships concern, you need them to move troups over water. 1 ship can carry 100 soldiers. Ships are automatically assigned if you move an army over water.

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

The ISP managed to crash the server. It should be coming back online eventually, but until then, please be patient. Apologies.
Dear Valued Customer,

(This ONLY affects customers on vz20.tektonic.net. If your VPS is up and responding as of 11:11AM GMT-5 on 3/26/2006 then you are NOT affected by this maintenance).

The ext3 filesystem journal has become corrupted on vz20.tektonic.net. A reboot only fixes the problem for a few hours and then it becomes corrupt again. We will be booting VZ20 into single user mode to perform a manual filesystem check (fsck) to fix the error.

Due to the size of the filesystems on our host nodes a filesystem check can take a few hours. We are preferring to perform this as an emergency on Sunday rather than Monday when it will more greatly affect businesses.

We apologize for this and will be contacting Virtuozzo support to see if it is due to a bug in their kernel.

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

Server is back and work (so far)!

As of now, version 2.4.0 is online! There is a lot of new stuff in there, so I advice everybody to try out the DEMO first, to get a feel for it!

Major enhancements:
1. Diplomacy: Alliances/NAP/Cease-Fires (except AI)
2. You cannot die anymore ... (except AI)
3. In-game messaging
4. Improved statistics
5. Order Input/User Interface changed
6. Victory/Winning the game is determined by points
7. Event system (attacks, moves etc)

There are also a lot of bugfixes and other request in that release. I think about 90% of your guys' feedback is now integrated in the game.

The event system as of now is improved. This means your orders are executed to its best. Example: You schedule troups to go from A->B but then you loose A and the troups on it -> it is not possible to move your non-existing troups to B anymore, so this event will not happen! This fixes problems, where A->B and B->A.

Please report bugs! Please report requested enhancements for the game that are not in the release (event if you already told me). I think I got most in, but lost track ...

Thorsten
Grandmaster Starfarmer

Post by Thorsten »

Are current games cancelled? And if not, did some of us miss a turn or is the time set back?

and how about the event system: 'You schedule troups to go from A->B but then you loose A and the troups on it -> it is not possible to move your non-existing troups to B anymore, so this event will not happen!'

What happens to the troups that were going from A to B? Do they dissappear or did they help defend?
green and stupid...? - huh!?

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

Are current games cancelled? And if not, did some of us miss a turn or is the time set back?
No, they are still up and running! Some people might have missed their turn due to the server outage (sorry, the game server automatically updates the turns even though the server is offline.)
What happens to the troups that were going from A to B? Do they dissappear or did they help defend?
yes, they help defend!

JD
Motor Mouth

Post by JD »

While playing I ran into a possible exploit in the game.
I had build a tower, which instantly shows me the number of troops of the lands surrounding me. But when I closed the game as it seemed to have crashed it didnt save any of my orders. So when I opened it again, I hadnt build my tower yet but I did know the number of troops in those countries.

The easiest way to fix this is probably to let the towers give info on the following turn and not instantly.
Hope this helps, PM me if you need more info.
If brute force doesnt solve your problems, you are not using enough of it.

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

Thanks! Somebody else noticed too! Will be fixed in upcoming releases!

JD
Motor Mouth

Post by JD »

Sofar I've had a few times that if I do most of my turn and browse the diplomacy for a few mins and then try to end the turn the game freezes and I need to do the turn again.

Game is good fun sofar though :)

A question, how often do we need to kill a king with 1 land left before he is really kicked out of the game ? When I kill him, how is decided which new land he gets, (can that be a land with one of my larger armies too ?)
If brute force doesnt solve your problems, you are not using enough of it.

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

Sofar I've had a few times that if I do most of my turn and browse the diplomacy for a few mins and then try to end the turn the game freezes and I need to do the turn again.

I will check on that. Will be fixed for the upcoming release.

A question, how often do we need to kill a king with 1 land left before he is really kicked out of the game ? When I kill him, how is decided which new land he gets, (can that be a land with one of my larger armies too ?)
That will be changed in the new release. You will die if all your provinces are captured! That will get rid of inactive players as well as players that are too weak.

Thorsten
Grandmaster Starfarmer

Post by Thorsten »

Yesterday i took a a kings last provence and he immediately appeared in the same province :( Kicking me out immediately again...

i did get to keep his money though so it seemed
green and stupid...? - huh!?

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

Yes, you get his gold! It will be changed with the next release, so the empire will diminish!