Thorsten
Grandmaster Starfarmer

Post by Thorsten »

i wanted his castle too :(
green and stupid...? - huh!?

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

The next release will be out in about 10-14 days! This will fix the problem with invincible empires!

Thorsten
Grandmaster Starfarmer

Post by Thorsten »

a yes the new king had an automatic cease fire pact with me :(
green and stupid...? - huh!?

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

yes! thanks for the reminder! This will be gone too...

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

Version 2.4.3 is out and the problem with invincible kings is solved! If you take a king's last province, he will die ...

Also, there are now installers available. They are auto-update enabled, i.e. you do not need to download updates, because they will be delivered automatically.

Aevum Obscurum Windows Installer
Aevum Obscurum Linux/Unix Installer
Aevum Obscurum Mac OS 10.4+ Installer

JD
Motor Mouth

Post by JD »

Few things I noticed while playing a few games now.

- Player starting with a town got a major advantage over others as they can keep their alive much easier (countries on edge of map not near water suffer less from lack of a city). Might be an idea to compensate the others with higher starting money or so.

- Fortify is extremely powerfull later in the game at a very low cost. Often resulting is slowing down the game if both sides use it alot. Might be an idea to put a big upkeep on fortifications (and an option to remove them).

- Allying people seems to a bit overpowered. Not only do you get help fighting, you also gain alot of points for having alot of allies so win faster. This comes pretty powerfull when starting a game with friends/clan.
My suggestion would be to remove the points bonus and instead make breaking an alliance/nap cost alot of turns and at a very high movement cost.
If brute force doesnt solve your problems, you are not using enough of it.

Blackjack
Visionary

Post by Blackjack »

I completely forgot about the game! I expect I've been overrun by now.
Vanguard (Gelenia)
Blackjack Wulfsong (Bard - Thestra)
Blackhawk (Hunter - Qalia)
Aeldar Blackthorn (Druid - Kojan)
Olaf Blackwulf (Warrior - Thestra)

EQ2 (Splitpaw)
Tuathal

JD
Motor Mouth

Post by JD »

Ehm yes :)
I noticed you werent active anymore, broke the alliance and took all your land.

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

JD wrote:- Player starting with a town got a major advantage over others as they can keep their alive much easier (countries on edge of map not near water suffer less from lack of a city). Might be an idea to compensate the others with higher starting money or so.
That's a good point and needs fix! I am currently working on a map/scenario editor. It's going to take a while, but this will allow to create custom scenarios/maps! Once the editor is ready, please let me know if you'd like to create your scenario?
- Fortify is extremely powerfull later in the game at a very low cost. Often resulting is slowing down the game if both sides use it alot. Might be an idea to put a big upkeep on fortifications (and an option to remove them).
Could? How about reducing fortification strengh? I need more opinions on that.
- Allying people seems to a bit overpowered. Not only do you get help fighting, you also gain alot of points for having alot of allies so win faster. This comes pretty powerfull when starting a game with friends/clan.
My suggestion would be to remove the points bonus and instead make breaking an alliance/nap cost alot of turns and at a very high movement cost.
I added the points bonus due to other players feedback. However breaking alliance/nap should cost more turns - sounds like a good idea. other opinions on that?

JD
Motor Mouth

Post by JD »

That's a good point and needs fix! I am currently working on a map/scenario editor. It's going to take a while, but this will allow to create custom scenarios/maps! Once the editor is ready, please let me know if you'd like to create your scenario?
Wouldnt mind giving it a try, but I gotta admit its easier to find an imbalance in a game than to actually fix it :)
Might it be an idea to give the small island kingdoms (ireland, isle of man, maybe even england and scotland) a much bigger fleet at the start of the game, say 50 or so ships.
Could? How about reducing fortification strengh? I need more opinions on that.
An option might be to work with multiple fortification levels. So you can each turn upgrade the fortification in a country by a certain amount upto the current maximum. That way you can have players pay for it multiple times (could even increase cost at high lvls of fortification).
It also means that fortifications are a defensive tool as the long prepared forts are much stronger, currently I use fortification alot as an offensive tool when invading other people's land.
I added the points bonus due to other players feedback. However breaking alliance/nap should cost more turns - sounds like a good idea. other opinions on that?
Ok, if you leave the point bonus in the game.
Maybe you could limit the amount of alliances to a certain amount. Say max 2 alliances at once and 3 naps. It will force us to make a choice who we really need as friends.

Must add that the game is getting better still, good job :). The last few changes really increased the look and feel of the game alot. I like being able to watch the overview maps at all time.

Conall
Farmer of Stars

Post by Conall »

An option might be to work with multiple fortification levels. So you can each turn upgrade the fortification in a country by a certain amount upto the current maximum. That way you can have players pay for it multiple times (could even increase cost at high lvls of fortification).
It also means that fortifications are a defensive tool as the long prepared forts are much stronger, currently I use fortification alot as an offensive tool when invading other people's land
that would be a good idea, indeed right now i use it to plunge into nmy territory, foritfy it and it takes a lot of effort from the defending side to get me out again, while its fairly easy for me.
World of Warcraft
Nomad - Tauren Druid (alchemy/herbalism)
Conall - Undead Rogue (mining/engineering)

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

Sounds like an interesting idea with the fortification levels! I will put it onto my todo list, but it won't be out until long - there is no time left to implement any requests at the moment unless I would halt the development of the map editor!

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

I am not sure if you guys are still playing? we are currently setting up a system for clan competitions. There is an upcoming match of DuxDeLux vs. SCC. Another clan "FightClub" from Chile just joined the community. We just reopened the new forum:
AO Community/Clan Hub.

The clan competitions are organized by "DuckofWar". Contact him if you are interested?

JD
Motor Mouth

Post by JD »

I think 5 or 6 of us still play regularly.

Conall
Farmer of Stars

Post by Conall »

i am still playing
World of Warcraft
Nomad - Tauren Druid (alchemy/herbalism)
Conall - Undead Rogue (mining/engineering)

DuckofWar
Initiate

Post by DuckofWar »

good to see other active AO'ers - hi guys

beautiful portal lads & nice forum integration.... i like it a lot, Im guessing its php nuke?

JD
Motor Mouth

Post by JD »

Hiya Duck,

Our group is mostly MMORPG oriented, things like AO are a nice extra only a few play. But AO is a fun game :)

DuckofWar
Initiate

Post by DuckofWar »

thanx for the quick reply

just so u know AO now has clan member groups..... the first inter-clan game is about to start

(I run the duxdelux forums btw - the first ao clan - and have played AO for 5 years or so, hence my involvement in its organisation)

JD
Motor Mouth

Post by JD »

I indeed noticed you were from The Pond, I didnt know AO was already was running for 5 years now. Only recently Munktar discovered it and posted it on our forum.

Yeah I saw the clan forum option, but wasnt sure it was worth adding us. Only 5 or 6 of us actually play actively. About 99% of our forum activity is in the members only area so not really an interesting read for others :)
Add to that the fact that we almost only recruit on a RL basis.

So not much to see here for other AO players, but if you we could set up a clan on AO just for the fun of it :)

kingaschi
Initiate

Post by kingaschi »

Actually the game wasn't running from 2001-2005, I just put the new version online at the end of 2005!

I would be glad to add the "ClanWulf" clan to AO. Just need the following:
-1 sentence clan description
-1 paragraph (3-8) clan description
-2 icons in the format 16x16 and 48x48 (translucent / black background)

I can help you with the icons if you are interested? I would assume the ClanWulf logo will be the icon?